Sunday, November 23, 2008

Buenos Aires- day 21

This morning I hit the last few hot spots in Buenos Aires. I walked through the Sunday market in San Telmo and then went to mass at the Basilica. The Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar was built around 1700. Inside a nice old Argentian lady sat next to me and was explaining in Spanish all the parts of mass including the sign of the cross, going up for communion, and the collection (she even gave me pesos to put in the basket). I didn´t understand most of what she said, but Im guessing she thought I was just a protestant tourist.

During the sign of peace, they gesture with a kiss on the cheek , common in south america, and not a handshake.



After church, I went to the ´cemterio de la Recoleta´ near by. Very impressive gravesites.

These are pictures from the burial site of Argentina´s famous first lady Eva Peron, also known as ´Evita.´





After that I went to the National Museum of Fine Arts which has over 10000 works of art including picasso, monet, manet, and van gogh. This is the flower which opens and closes everyday outside the museum.
Then this afternoon I flew to Iguazu Falls! It turns out that my hotel is in Foz do Igu on the Brazil side so Im trying to ramp up in my Portuguese. I also had to change more currency so I now have dollars, Chilean pesos, Argentinan pesos, and Brazilian reals in my wallet. My dinner was great- buffet, an additional steak, 2 mango drinks(delicious as expected) and a beer for $7! cant wait to see the falls tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment